The Augmented Reality feature of the Star Wars app is a pathway to many experiences some consider to be...awesome, including the ability to bring 3D characters to life. Are you ready?
Here's how to do it:
- Open the Star Wars app.
- From the dashboard, tap the "Augmented Reality" button.
- Point your device's camera at one of the posters shown at the bottom of the screen:
- If you don’t have access to one of the posters, you can download them to your device or email them to yourself to print or to display on a second screen. (If you're viewing this page on your mobile device, open it again on a computer desktop, another mobile device, etc.)
- A menu will appear on screen displaying 4 characters: the First Order Stormtrooper, a Flametrooper and BB-8 from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and K-2SO from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
- Tap a character to select.
- Once the character appears on screen in your environment, tap 1, 2 or 3 to select from different animations.
- Use the "Right" and "Left" Arrows to cycle through the characters.
- Tap the "Play" button to play and view the animation featuring sound.
- Tap the "Camera" button to take a photo. To turn on your camera's flash, tap the Lightning icon in the top right corner.
- Tap and hold the "Video Camera" button to record a video of the character animation including sound. Please note that video recording is only available for iOS. Get creative! Try to interact with the character. Release the button to stop recording.
- Use the "Character" button to toggle between normal and Hologram mode.
- Once you've taken your photo or video, you will see three buttons - delete, save to your device, or share.
Enjoy the Star Wars app's augmented reality feature, and pass on what you have learned: share your photos and videos using "#StarWarsApp!"